Popular Posts

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Blog Post Assignment Three

LighthouseMichael Wesch: A Vision Of Students Today


This video really relates to the way my college
experience has been. We are drowning in a pool of
information that we will never use. I want to "actually" learn something that will relate to my area of expertise. I want it to catch my attention so that when I walk out the door, I haven't already forgotten it.
Students want to participate in their learning. They want to learn things that will make them better in the end. I want my teachers to catch my attention. Students want to use technology while learning. It keeps our attention.

It's Not About the Technology
by: Kelly Hines

Teachers must be active in their approach to education. Mrs. Hines was right. It is not all about the technology. It is about teachers incorporating technology into their lessons. It is about teachers learning how to use technology to educate our children. Teachers must constantly evolve. In order to do that, we must stay educated and change the way we think.
As a teacher, you must be interested in what you are teaching. It needs to be approached with the mindset that "I love what I am teaching and I am willing to learn more." We can explore with our students and accomplish amazing things.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

It is NOT okay to be technologically illiterate. Technology is becoming the mode of education more and more every day. If we do not know how to use it, we cannot expect students to learn it and be successful. And trust me, without it, they will not succeed.
We all have a common goal. That goal is for our students to be successful. In order for that to happen, we must be technologically literate today and thirty years from today.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

Technology is growing at an astoundingly fast rate and so are the ways in which it is used. The Education System as a whole as well as, the Educators must keep up with these changes. The children we are educating are our future leaders. Where will we be if we leave them behind?
We will be in ruin. The World will pass them by. All at the expense of their teachers who were not willing to educate themselves in order to help their students succeed. If that means actively using various methods of technology in our classrooms, then we have to do it. It is not an option. Our future is left up to us; determined by the way we educate our children.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Leiha, I really enjoyed reading your replies to the videos. I especially loved the comment you made towards "Michael Wesch: A Vision Of Students Today" where you wrote "we are drowning in a pool of information we will never use." I 100% agree with this. I wish Universities would focus less on pre-requisites and more on skills and what we need to know in life in order to succeed. Though I know classes we take before going into our desired majors can be interesting, and fun at that too, I also do know that they really are a waste of time, and money. Out of all the classes I am taking this semester, EDM310 is the only class where I actually go home at the end of the day knowing I've learned something new, and can use that information to teach others and I've gained valuable information from the class.
    I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the videos and I agree with everything you have written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Tracy!! I was wondering how my view would come across. You are exactly right about EDM 310. I love this class. I am actually learning stuff that I can use on a day to day basis inside and outside of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leiha,

    I definitely agree with that statement "I love what I am teaching and I am willing to learn more." We, as educators, must love teaching and encouraging students. I started my observations for a class, and the first thing my teacher said to me was, "Is it too late to change your major?" I was shocked, and I definitely could tell she did not enjoy her job anymore. I did notice she had recently received a smartboard, and she was interested in learning how to use it, so I will give her credit for that. :) While it isn't all about the technology, the technology being incorporated certainly makes a difference. Children love using technology, and the use of it opens up so many possibilities for them. All teachers should be technologically literate to benefit the students.

    ReplyDelete